Desiccated coconut is simply coconut meat that has been grated and dried. Available sweetened or unsweetened, it is commonly used as a topping for curries or other Asian dishes, as an ingredient in cooked cereal or granola, and in baked goods. It contains no cholesterol or trans fats while being rich in a number of essential nutrients, including dietary fiber, manganese, copper and selenium. http://safimex.com
Let’s make a cake with desiccated coconut .
- Butter, for greasing
- 200g plain fl our
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 75g butter
- 75g sugar
- 50g desiccated coconut, plus a little extra for decoration
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest, grated
- 1 egg
- 100ml milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- Grease a 15cm round cake tin with the butter and preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Sift the fl our, salt and baking powder through a fi ne sieve into a large bowl.
- Coconut sponge cake
- Rub in the butter gradually until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar, coconut and lime zest and mix thoroughly to combine.
- In another bowl, beat together the egg, milk and vanilla essence.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture, then pour in the liquid. Mix well until the consistency is firm. Add an extra 25ml milk if necessary.
- Put the mixture into the cake tin and transfer to the oven. Bake for 40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Turn out onto a wire rack to cool, then top with the extra desiccated coconut and serve.
SAFIMEX JOINT STOCK COMPANY
Head office: 216/20A Duong Ba Trac Street, Ward 2, District 8, HoChiMinh City, Vietnam.
Tel: (+84)-(28)-3636 2388 | (+84)-(28)-3636 2399