Summer is only season for mangoes. Lot of things can be made with fresh raw mango. Mangoes can be eaten both raw and ripe. Raw mangoes have a sharp sour taste, while the ripe mangoes are juicy and sweet to eat.
THE KING OF ASIATIC FRUITS
The mango enjoys a unique status among the fruits. It is the most popular fruit of the tropics and is called ‘The King of Asiatic fruits’. Mango’s Botanical Name is ‘Mangilera indica’; Besides India, the fruit is now widely grown in China, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Philippines, Haiti, Mexico and Brazil.
Numerous varieties are cultivated, in India alone, there are over 500 varieties, but only about 35 varieties are extensively cultivated.
Mangos are used in ripe and unripe conditions and both are well-known for its medicinal properties. Unripe mangoes can be kept at room temperature for few days, and to ripen, keep them in paper covers. Ripen ones should be stored in the refrigerator. Bring back to normal temperature when the fruit is to be eaten to get the natural taste and flavour.
GREEN RAW MANGOES
The raw mango is generally green in colour, though the ripe variety is available in a number of colours including yellow, orange, red or purple.
THE RAW MANGO IS HIGHLY APPRECIATED FOR ITS NUTRITIONAL VALUE THEY ARE EXCELLENT SOURCE OF VITAMIN C, WHICH IS COMPARATIVELY MORE THAN RIPE MANGOES; raw mango is a rich source of pectin. Unripe mango is sour in taste because of the presence of oxalic, citric, malice and succinic acids.
Raw mangoes are also good source of B vitamins that are beneficial to maintain good health it can be used in preparing numerous dishes. Due to the presence of vitamin C, they are highly beneficial in strengthening immune system. It helps in throwing away all waste products from the body.
FOLLOWING ARE SOME USEFUL AND NATURAL BENEFITS OF UNRIPE MANGO:
- Eating unriped mangoes with salt prevents the excessive loss of water from the body and helps to quenches our thirst. In addition,it also protects us from the negative effects of very high temperature.
- Drinking unriped mango juice prevents the excessive loss of sodium chloride and iron during summer due to excessive sweating.
- Dried mango powder called Amchur is highly beneficial in treating Scurvy(deficiency of Vitamin C).
AMCHUR ALSO HAS HIGH IRON CONTENT, so pregnant women and people suffering from anemia are advised to consume it regularly.
It is a fair source of Vitamin A and Vitamin E which helps hormonal system function efficiently. Vitamin A and vitamin E are required for healthy skin and eyes.
- Eating Unriped mangoes,a rich source of pectin, mixed with honey and salt is highly beneficial in treating gastro-intestinal disorders.It is also considered as very effective medicine for summer diarrhea, dysentery, piles, morning sickness, chronic dyspepsia, indigestion and constipation.
- Unriped mangoes are extremely beneficial in treating blood disorders because of its high vitamin C content. It increases the elasticity of the blood vessels and helps the formation of new blood cells, also aids in the absorption of iron and prevents bleeding tendencies. Unriped Mangoes increases body resistance against tuberculosis, anemia, cholera and dysentery.
- Boiled unriped mangoes juice mixed with sugar, cumin and pinch of salt helps to treat the prickly heat,sour throat and sun stroke in summer.
- Helps in treating liver disorders as it increase the secretion of bile acids and clean the intestines of bacterial infections.
- Unriped mangoes have more Antioxidants and Vitamin C than riped mangoes.These antioxidant properties protects the body against cancer and cardiovascular diseases.
- It is helpful in treating morning sickness.
- Being rich source of Vitamin C,it improves stamina and helps to fight against diseases.
- As an alkaline food,it helps to control acidity to some extent.
We know excess of anything is bad, so avoid eating raw mangoes in-excess. Their excessive intake may cause throat irritation, indigestion, dysentery and abdominal colic.
One should, therefore, not consume more than one or two green mangoes daily. Do not eat raw mango without draining its sap. The intake of sap may cause gastro- intestinal, throat, and mouth infection.
SAFIMEX JOINT STOCK COMPANY
Head office: 216/20A Duong Ba Trac street, Ward 2, District 8, HCM City