I can never pass up an opportunity to make Thai Spring Rolls, but sometimes you have to choose a healthier option. These no-cook vegetable spring rolls are full of flavour and very nutritious. Rice paper is a little hard to work with at first, but with a little practice you’ll be set.
I like these suckers on their own, but usually for additional flavour I add some cooked chicken, such as sticky maple chicken, left over potted garlic chicken, or left over rotisserie chicken!
This recipe makes 4-5 rolls, or 8-10 rolls cut in half.
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked vermicelli noodles, cut up
- half of a red and yellow pepper (or whatever you have on hand), cut into thin strips
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 2 green onions, sliced into thin strips
- lots of fresh cilantro (roughly 2-3 cups, lightly packed)
- Round rice paper sheets
- chili mayo: real mayo, sriracha sauce, lime juice, black pepper and brown sugar
- Step 1: To cook the vermicelli noodles, boil some water and pour over the noodles. Let cook for 5 minutes or so, drain well and set aside.
- Step 2: To make the chili mayo, place 1/4 cup of real mayo (a must) in a bowl, add 1 tsp of sriracha sauce, add half of a lime taste, 1 tsp of brown sugar and a pinch of black pepper. Mix together well. Add this sauce to the well-drained vermicelli noodles and mix well.
- Step 3: Take some boiling water and place it in a shallow bowl or dish (big enough to fit the rice paper sheet in). Add some cold water so you don’t burn yourself! Place 1 sheet in at a time, and let soften for 30-45 seconds. Gently squeeze out the excess water.
- Step 5: Place cooked rice paper sheet on a large cutting board. Careful not to rip the paper, spread it out without any folds or wrinkles. Place some of the noodle mixture into the centre. Now, add some shredded carrots, few pieces of bell peppers and thin strips of green onions. Add some whole cilantro leaves or whatever herbs you are using on top of the mixture.
- Step 6: To wrap, fold in sides towards the centre, then begin to roll the end closest to you and roll away from you until rolled completely. Finish with the rest of the mixture and rice paper sheets.
- Step 7: If serving right away, cut the roll in half. If not serving right away, place the rolls on a plate, spreading them apart and covering them with plastic wrap. Place in the fridge until use.
Mobile: +84 1679922718 (Viber, Whatsapp)
SAFIMEX JOINT STOCK COMPANY
Head office: 216/20A Duong Ba Trac Street, Ward 2, District 8, HoChiMinh City, Vietnam.
Tel: (+84)-(28)-3636 2388 | (+84)-(28)-3636 2399| Web: www.safimex.com