Phở is all about the broth. It’s packed with so much warm and savory flavor. Our broth does not skimp on flavor, it has all of the spices you’d expect in an authentic phở, and it’s bulked up with meaty shiitake mushrooms and sweet carrots and herbs. And of course there’s the noodles, you must have those rice noodles!
Can I just tell you how obsessed Alex and I are with phở? Clearly, we’re not the only ones because it’s a true food trend throughout the country right now. In case you’re not familiar with this Vietnamese street food, let us introduce you.
Phở is soup with a rich and warm broth that’s made with low-sodium vegetable broth, caramelized leeks, garlic, star anise, tamari, fresh ginger, cinnamon, basil, and cilantro. We let it simmer for 30 minutes so all of the flavors marry and become one delicious treat.
We also added meaty shiitake mushrooms to replace the beef that phở is typically made with. And to make it one step healthier, we put some sweet carrots in for good measure. Lastly, we added the rice noodles that are an essential ingredient in this Vietnamese soup.
Sound intriguing? Good, let’s get cooking!
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN VIETNAMESE PHO
First – Caramelize the leeks in the olive oil until they’re a light golden brown. This will add so much flavor to the broth. If you don’t cook with oil you can cook them in a little bit of broth.
Second – Add the carrots, mushrooms, garlic, star anise, ginger, vegetable broth, water, tamari, bay leaves, and the cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Once the broth is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and let it cook for 30 minutes.
Third – While the broth is simmering cook the rice noodles.
Fourth – Add the chopped cilantro and squeeze the lime juice into the soup and stir it to combine.
Fifth – Divide the noodles into four bowls and pour the broth and mushrooms over the noodles. Garnish it with more cilantro and basil leaves.
A delicious, savory and warm Vietnamese street soup that’s so delicious and healthy. Made with shiitake mushrooms and rice noodles.
Course: Entree, Main Course, Soup
Servings: 4 servings
Calories: 314 kcal
Author: Linda Meyer
- 1tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3leeks chopped
- 3carrots sliced
- 10shiitake mushrooms stems removed and sliced
- 3garlic cloves minced
- 28oz light vegetable broth
- 2cups water
- ¼cup tamari
- 2star anise pods
- 1tbsp grated ginger
- 2bay leaves
- 1cinnamon stick
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnishing
- Sea salt to taste
- 8oz rice noodles
- Basil leaves to garnishoptional
- In a large deep pan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil on medium heat and caramelize the leeks until they’re a light golden brown. This will add so much flavor to the broth. If you don’t cook with oil you can caramelize them in a little bit of broth.
- Add the carrots, mushrooms, garlic, vegetable broth, water, tamari, star anise, ginger, bay leaves, and the cinnamon stick and bring to a boil. Once the broth is boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and let it cook for 30 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering cook the rice noodles according to the instructions on the package.
- Add the chopped cilantro and squeeze the lime juice into the soup and stir it to combine. Salt to taste.
- Divide the noodles into four bowls and pour the broth and mushrooms over the noodles. Garnish it with more cilantro and basil leaves.
Source: https://www.veganosity.com | vegan shiitake mushroom pho
SAFIMEX JOINT STOCK COMPANY
Head office: 216/20A Duong Ba Trac street, Ward 2, District 8, HCM City, Vietnam
Mail: Sales2@safimex.com | Gmail: email@example.com
Skype: gautrucluca | HP/WhatsApp: (+84)396802832