Com chay cha bong’ (Vietnamese crispy rice cake with pork floss) is an attractive snack for both adults and children. People love them because of the unique crispy taste along with the aromatic scent of scallions, the little fat of the oil, the spice of the sauce and the sweetness of the pork floss. Such a great combination in one dish!
The way to prepare this snack is not complicated. However, an excellent ‘Com chay cha bong’ should have the yellow cover when fried. Plus the combination of rice with other ingredients such as pork floss (cha bong) shrimp, etc. will add the amazing attraction to this dish. In the past, there was only ‘Com Chay” served with other primary dishes during the main meals. Nowadays, Com chay cha bong has been developed more diverse in terms of styles such as Com chay Kho Quet, Com chay with salmon, Com chay cha bong, Com chay with dried shrimp, vegetarian Com chay, and so on. But the most beloved dish is still Com chay cha bong.
The making way of this snack is not complicated in terms of “technique” but to be successful, you should add other supporting ingredients such as fish sauce…. Now we won’t let you wait any longer. Let’s discover the secret of how to make the delicious Com chay cha bong.
Ingredients for com chay recipe (crispy rice cake)
– Glutinous rice: 250 g
– Ordinary rice: 250 g
– Ruoc (Cha bong) made from shredded pork: 100g
– Cooking oil
– Spices: Sugar, fish sauce, seasoning powder…
– Chilli powder
How to make com chay recipe
Step 1: Soak the glutinous rice 1-2 hours before cooking, then mixed with the ordinary rice and wash them. Put in the rice cooker and cook like the regular way. Note: To cook a bit drier rice than usual as well as add one tablespoon of cooking oil and one little seasoning powder.
Step 2: When the rice is cooked and still hot, put them into a tray. You are using a wet ladle or a clean cup to press while spreading the rice evenly to the tray. Its thickness should range from 0.3 to 0.4 cm.
Step 3: Make the rice dried.
- You can take advantage of the summer sun to dry it. Turn back the rice so that their two sides are evenly dry.
- You can do this step with an oven in the conditions of having no sunshine, like in winter. Turn on the oven at 110 degrees, and keep them for 2-3 hours
- Or you can dry it by putting the rice tray in the refrigerator.
Step 4: Prepare the sugar fish sauce. Mix fish sauce according to the ratio of filtered water: fish sauce: sugar = 3: 3: 3. Next, stir well to dissolve the sugar, then add one tablespoon of chili powder.
Step 5: Fry the scallion. Wash the scallion to drain, and chop. Put a little oil in a pan. After heating the oil, add the scallions in, and stir quickly until they are dark green and aromatic. Then, turn off the stove and pour immediately into a bowl.
Step 6: When the rice is dehydrated, cut it into medium-sized pieces. Conduct frying rice. You can use a deep pan or a small saucepan. Add plenty of oil to the pan, turn on the heat. After the oil boils for a while, turn down the heat. Pour the rice into and fry both sides of them. Then, take them out, and put in a plate with the oil absorbing cooking paper to reduce cooking oil.
Note: When frying the rice, you must keep the moderate heat. If maintaining a high temperature, it will make the rice burn. Otherwise, it will be tough for eating at a low temperature.
Step 7: After the competition of rice frying, sprinkle quickly one layer of sugar sauce, and one layer of fired scallion on the top.
- You can choose to use glutinous rice or ordinary rice entirely in preparing this dish. Eating fried glutinous rice will let you feel bored easier than ordinary rice. Using the ordinary rice can make a more crunchy and spongy Com chay cha bong. Therefore, the best proportion between using these two types of rice is 50: 50.
- When cooking rice, the chicken broth will be the best. If not, you can follow the above steps for adding the cooking oil and seasoning powder
- When the rice is fried, it will expand. So, it is not advisable to press the rice too thick when drying and leave too big pieces. If you do so, it is difficult for the rice to expand evenly.
- The rice must be completely dry. If its inside is not dry, the rice will be tough and not crunchy when fried.
SAFIMEX JOINT STOCK COMPANY
Head office: 216/20A Duong Ba Trac street, Ward 2, District 8, HCM City
Mail: Sales1@safimex.com | Gmail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Skype: sales1.safimex | HP/WhatsApp: (+84)365713881|
Source: http://yummyvietnam.net | crispy rice cake