The national dish of Vietnam, pho is an aromatic noodle soup that’s traditionally made with beef broth. Here, store-bought vegetable broth is spiked with onion, garlic, and spices for a full-bodied vegetarian alternative.
- 1 medium onion, peeled and halved
- 1 head garlic, top sliced off and removed
- 1 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled
- 3 star anise
- 2 Tbs. anise seeds
- 2 Tbs. coriander seeds
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbs. Bragg Liquid Aminos or low-sodium soy sauce
- 7 oz. dried rice stick noodles
- 6 baby bok choy, sliced (6 cups)
- 2 cups green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1/3 cup chopped Thai basil leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 4 Tbs. prepared fried shallots, optional
1 Preheat oven to broil, and place oven rack in highest position. Place onion, garlic head, and ginger on baking sheet, and broil 3 to 5 minutes, or until brown and beginnng to blacken, turning occasionally. Transfer to large pot or Dutch oven.
2 Toast star anise, anise seeds, coriander seeds, and cinnamon sticks in small dry skillet over medium-low heat 3 minutes, or until fragrant. Add spices to onion mixture in pot, then add broth and 6 cups water. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer, partially covered, 1 hour. Strain broth, and discard solids. (You should have 8 cups of broth.) Return broth to pot, and stir in Liquid Aminos. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat.
3 Meanwhile, prepare rice sticks according to package directions. Cook bok choy and green beans 4 minutes in large pot of boiling salted water. Drain noodles and vegetables.
4 Divide noodles and vegetables among four bowls. Pour 2 cups broth over top, then top with bean sprouts, and sprinkle with herbs and fried shallots (if using).
- Calories: 249
- Carbohydrate Content: 55 g
- Fat Content: 1 g
- Fiber Content: 7 g
- Protein Content: 9 g
- Saturated Fat Content: 0.5 g
- Sodium Content: 912 mg
- Sugar Content: 7 g
All The Best
SAFIMEX JOINT STOCK COMPANY
Head Office: 216/20A Duong Ba Trac Street, Ward 2, District 8, HoChiMinh City, Vietnam.
Tel: (+84)-(28)-3636 2388 | Fax: (+84)-(28)-3636 2399
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org/ email@example.com
Skype: emma.lenguyen510 – Hp/Whatsapp: 0084 975.584.679