Simplicity rules in this slaw, where equal amounts of cider vinegar and sugar create a straightforward sweet-and-tangy flavor that’s incredibly versatile, not to mention delicious.
Why this recipe works:
- A sugar-and-salt mixture purges the cabbage of excess moisture, leaving it tender, but still crunchy and well seasoned.
- An equal amount of vinegar and sugar gives this slaw a tangy and sweet character.
- Celery seeds add a light celery flavor and some pleasing texture.
- YIELD:Serves 10-12
- ACTIVE TIME:30 minutes
- TOTAL TIME:35 minutes
For the Dressing:
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic (about 1 medium clove)
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
For the Slaw:
- 1 large head green cabbage (about 3 1/2 pounds), finely shredded on a mandoline or by hand
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated on the large holes of a box grater
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely sliced on a mandoline or by hand
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup kosher salt
For the Dressing: Whisk together vinegar, sugar, oil, garlic, black pepper, and celery seeds in small bowl.
For the Slaw: Combine cabbage, carrot, and onion in a large bowl. Sprinkle with sugar and salt and toss to combine. Let stand five minutes, then transfer to a large colander and rinse thoroughly under cold running water.
Transfer vegetables to a salad spinner and spin dry. Alternatively, transfer to a large rimmed baking sheet lined with a triple layer of paper towels or a clean kitchen towel and blot mixture dry with more towels. Return to large bowl.
Pour dressing over vegetables and toss to coat. Adjust seasoning to taste with salt, pepper, and/or sugar.
SAFIMEX JOINT STOCK COMPANY
Head Office: 216/20A Duong Ba Trac Street, Ward 2, District 8, HoChiMinh City, Vietnam.
Tel: (+84)-(28)-3636 2388 | Fax: (+84)-(28)-3636 2399